Your Rights Under Title IX
You have the following rights under Title IX, to the extent applicable at the District:
- You have the right to fair and equitable treatment and you shall not be discriminated against based on your sex.
- You have the right to be provided with an equitable opportunity to participate in all academic extracurricular activities, including athletics.
- You have the right to receive equitable treatment and benefits in the provision of all of the following related to athletics, if any are provided by the District:
- Equipment and supplies;
- Scheduling of games and practices;
- Transportation and daily allowances;
- Access to tutoring;
- Locker rooms;
- Practice and competitive facilities;
- Medical and training facilities and services; and
- You have the right to have access to a sex/gender equity coordinator, referred to as the Title IX Coordinator (find contact information below), to answer questions regarding sex/gender equity laws.
- You have the right to contact the State Department of Education and the California Interscholastic Federation to access information on sex/gender equity laws.
- You have the right to file a confidential discrimination complaint with the United States Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the California Department of Education if you believe you have been discriminated against or if you believe you have received unequal treatment on the basis of your sex.
- You have the right to pursue civil remedies if you have been discriminated against.
- You have the right to be protected against retaliation if you file a discrimination complaint. (California Education Code § 221.8.)
HUSD has a responsibility to respond promptly and effectively to sex-based discrimination, including sexual harassment and sexual violence. If the District knows or reasonably should know about sex discrimination, it must take action to eliminate the sex discrimination, prevent its recurrence, and address its effects. The District must resolve complaints of sex discrimination promptly and equitably. Information on filing a complaint alleging sex-based discrimination is below, including contact information for HUSD's Title IX Coordinator.
For more information, specific to anti-discrimination in HUSD employment, please contact the Title IX Coordinator.
Learn more about your rights under Title IX:
- Visit the website of the United States Department of Education Office for Civil Rights and the website on Sex Discrimination.
- Review United States Department of Education Office for Civil Rights, Know Your Rights documents:
- Visit the website of the California Department of Education Office of Equal Opportunity & Access and the webpage on Gender Equity/Title IX
- Review related District Board Policies and regulations on the HUSD website