Skip to main content

Filing a Complaint

How do I file a complaint of sex discrimination?

A complaint alleging unlawful discrimination or retaliation must be filed no later than six months from the date the discrimination or retaliation occurred, or six months from when the complainant first learned of the unlawful discrimination. The Superintendent or designee may extend this timeline by up to ninety days for good cause, upon written request by the complainant setting forth the reasons for the extension.

A student, parent, guardian, employee, individual, or organization may file a written complaint alleging discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and/or bullying on the basis of a protected characteristic under the District's Uniform Complaint Procedure by sending a complaint to HUSD's Title IX Coordinator.

Board Policy and Administrative Regulation 1312.3 - Uniform Complaint Procedure is available on the HUSD website or you may CLICK HERE.

If you need assistance putting your complaint in writing, please contact Francesca Whitcomb at 707-431-3484 or email at You may file a complaint anonymously, but HUSD's ability to investigate and respond may be limited by a lack of information.

You may also file a discrimination complaint with the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights. For more information, visit The electronic complaint form for the Office for Civil Rights is available online at

Contact the Office for Civil Rights at:
San Francisco Office
Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Education
50 United Nations Plaza
San Francisco, CA 94102
Telephone: (415) 486-5555
Fax: (415) 486-5570; TDD: (800) 877-8339

For information about how to file other types of complaints and the procedures for those complaints, please contact the District Office at (707) 431-3488.